The history of the Iron Library is closely connected with the fate of the former Clarissan convent Klostergut Paradies. The convent, which was thoroughly renovated between 1948 and 1952, was made available by Georg Fischer AG to house this extraordinary book collection. Therefore, the convent's former guest wing, where the Library is situated, maintains the old tradition of hospitality for visitors.
The foundation stone for the convent, which was the first Clarissan order in Switzerland, was laid in 1253. The Paradies convent was ceded to the Canton of Thurgau in 1804. When it was decided to liquidate the convent's assets in 1836, the buildings and land were auctioned publicly. The land was converted into farmers' holdings, while the stalls, barns and workshops, along with the former convent buildings, were a ragbag. The property changed hands several times before the tale of woe ended in 1918, when Georg Fischer AG acquired the estate. The idea behind the acquisition was to provide food and shelter for the company's employees in war time.
Towards the end of the 1940s, a new purpose was sought for the historical estate. The convent buildings were restored by the architect Martin Risch on the occasion of the company's 150th anniversary. The extensive renovation work was completed in the anniversary year 1952, and the Iron Library was opened to the public. A further important step was taken in 1974 when Georg Fischer AG founded its training center on the estate. True to its tradition, the convent had found a new purpose.