The eventful history of Klostergut Paradies in Schlatt (Switzerland), situated on the idyllic banks of the Rhine, symbolizes the vicissitudes of time.
History of the Center
Originally founded as a convent, the complex was used entirely for farming in the early 20th century. This motivated the Swiss industrial company Georg Fischer (GF) to acquire the entire site in 1918 following the upheaval of the First World War. From that point on, agriculture and livestock farming improved the food supply of GF employees – an unusual measure even at the time.
The complex was restored on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of GF, and the Iron Library was established as a foundation of Georg Fischer AG in 1948. It is situated in the West wing of the convent building, and is open to the public.
GF opened its modern group training center at the estate in 1974. The boundaries of the convent premises were filled out in the same year as a result of the acquisition of the Restaurant Paradies property on the Rhine.